Friday, November 27, 2009

Thank you, Merci, Gracias, Arigato, Mahalo, Salamat!

Americans and americanized friends, I know today is really your holiday... But, may I just borrow it for one blog post? Just one, I promise! Anyway, eating turkey is not really a pinoy thing and I don't think a "one whole lechon manok - chopped" from Andoks would look as regal as a 12 pound roasted bird at the center of the dinner table. So I guess one blog entry would suffice. (Or, maybe once a year? Let's nego.)

[Wait, break muna... Pinsan E, I distinctly remember your house in Merville where you had so many "yummy" farm animals (why do I sound like a carnivorous T-Rex all of a sudden?). Guys, i'm not kidding! They had pigs, chicken and their chicks, and TURKEYS in their own backyard. If I'm not mistaken, those were the only times I ate turkey and I remember liking it, although now I don't really remember what it actually tastes like 'cos that was like... 14 years ago? Damn!]


Ok, back to my trail of thought before I get lost from all the side stories.

Isn't Thanksgiving universal? Yes, for you Amerikanos, I know this is the holiday about the american indians (sharing a turkey with the cowboys, was it? I think I'm embarassing myself). Wait, what really happened?



On the other hand, what I would like to blog about is thanksgiving. The one that's more culture-flexible. The one that applies to every human being in this planet. In tagalog, "Pasasalamat" (root word: "Salamat" meaning "Thank you"). 

So yeah, we're down with "Pasasalamat". Here are a few pasasalamats of my own:



(To prove my point that thanksgiving is universal, I will now attempt to write in my native tongue 'til the end of this blog post)

Sa aking pamilya, sa walang-sawang suporta sa lahat ng daang itinahak ko sa aking buhay, Maraming Salamat!

Sa aking mga kaibigan, sa pagbibigay ng kaligayahan sa akin sa tuwing tayo'y nagkakasama. Kahit na ano pa ang aking pagdaanan, nakakalimutan ko sa tuwing humahalakhak na tayo dahil sa ating sari-saring mga kababawan. Maraming Salamat!

Sa aking mga ka-opisina, nararamdaman ko ang inyong paniniwala at suporta sa lahat ng aking desisyon at ginagawa sa trabaho. Maraming Salamat!

Sa aming kasambahay, Jecel, kahit na lagi akong nagkakamali sa ispeling ng pangalan mo (parating Giselle ang tawag ko sa kanya), sa patuloy mong pagtulong sa mga gawaing bahay at pagpapasensya sa minsang katarayan ko. Maraming Salamat!

Sa mga kinakainan ko araw-araw (mcdo, country style, mary joanne's kitchen, BYR, glorietta food court), dahil ako'y isang matakaw na tao na hindi marunong magbawas ng kinakain. Kahit na ako'y nananaba na at ang "holiday weight" (ipagpaumanhin, hindi ko talaga maisalin sa tagalog) ko noong nakaraang pasko ay hindi na nawala, tunay na lumiligaya ako kapag nakakakain ng masasarap na pagkaing handa ninyo. Maraming Salamat!

Sa milyon-milyong pinoy na may ginintuang puso, na sa kabila ng kahirapan at dagok ng buhay, nagsusumikap at nananatili parin kayong mapagmahal sa inyong kapwa. Maraming Salamat!

Sa milyon-milyong katauhan sa buong mundo, sa inyong paniniwala na ang lahing pinoy ay isang dakilang lahi. Sa inyong pagbibigay ng karangalan sa aming mga kababayang tunay na ipinagmamalaki ng aming bayan, kagaya nina Efren Penaflorida, Manny Pacquiao, atbp. Maraming Salamat!

At sa iyo, sa pagbabasa sa aking mga munting saloobin. Maraming Salamat!
     Ikaw, kanino mo nais magpasalamat?

    3 comments:

    1. iza, i didn't know you were this talkative. i can see it in your blog posts. hindi rin kasi tayo laging nagkakausap dati, but i'm glad you've found your calling as a writer. God bless and write more! :p

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hahhaha pinsan, can't believe you still remember our "farm". Its been over 14 years beb, cuz I've been here for about 15 already. My, how time flies.

      Weirdly, Papa and my stepmom raised us without really celebrating Thanksgiving. My hubby's family is really into it though, actually its a pretty big thing on Guam, especially Black Friday (supposedly the biggest shopping day of the year).

      Hmm, I better end this before it starts sounding like a blog entry. What am I thankful for? Garden Salsa-flavored Sun Chips, Channing Tatum, the hubby and familia. :) Happy Thanksgiving I.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Hi jam! Actually, I have my talkative moments and my silent moments. Medyo walking contradiction talaga ako. Oo sayang hindi tayo masyado nagkakausap, umalis kasi ako kaagad ng main. Thanks thanks for the kind words! =)

      E, of course I remember your "farm"! Seriously, that was the best chicken I've ever tasted! And the turkey... yum! Oh and Channing Tatum huh? Hehe! Happy thanksgiving!

      ReplyDelete