I'm sure you've heard about Inception, the Avatar/Toy Story/500 Days of Summer of this month. Nah, this post is not about that movie... I'm sure some of you (like me) may be sick of talking about it. In fact, I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I'm one of the very few who didn't really love Inception. I guess I'm just a simple girl, I get lost with anything way too complex, but I digress... I should go back to what this post is really all about.
Although I wasn't really a fan of the movie, it definitely got me interested in one thing: dreams. It inspired so many conversations between me and my friends that I felt I had to blog about it.
Well, dreams mean many things, but I want to talk about the dreams we have when we're asleep. The product of our subconscious thinking, when something affects us but does so under the surface, in a not so obvious way. Could be an experience, a desire, a fear of ours, but whatever it is, one thing's for sure -- it sneaks up on us when we are asleep. The most common dream that I have is the "naked dream", one where I go about ordinary events, interact with the same people in my waking life, COMPLETELY NAKED. Don't get me wrong, the dream is not really sexual, more so it makes me feel very self-conscious. The weird thing about these naked dreams of mine is that never in my dreams did I pick up clothes to cover my body. Can anybody else relate to what I'm saying? No one? Geez. I shared this with some of my friends, confident in my thinking that since it's common to me, it must be common to everybody. Well, I was wrong. It was actually kind of embarrassing when I found out no one of my friends shared the naked dream. Asked them what they think it meant, and we had a lively conversation of it meaning I'm KSP. If you don't know what that means, sorry I won't tell you. =P
Another recurring dream of mine is of me being kidnapped or being held hostage by a group of people, strangers most of the time. These are more like recurring nightmares, actually, and I never understood why I had these dreams. I shared this with my friends too... and of course no one else had them. Asked them what they think it means, and they say it means I'm KSP. Pfft. Are these guys trying to tell me something? Weirdos.
Those two are my most common dreams, but I haven't had those dreams in a long time. If by any chance, you reading this now had ever had these dreams I've had, I googled a dream dictionary and here's what it says:
1. Naked - "Becoming mortified at the realization that you are naked in public reflects your vulnerability or feelings of shamefulness. You may be hiding something and are afraid that others can see right through you. Metaphorically, clothes are a means of concealment... (sic)".
Huh. To read more, click here
2. Hostage - "To dream that you are a hostage, indicates that you are feeling victimized or powerless. You feel limited in your choices or physically immobilized (sic)... Alternatively, to dream that you are a hostage suggests that a part of yourself is not fully expressed."
Huh. Seems that there's a pattern here. It's been a long time since I've had these dreams and I remember I used to have them a lot when I was still a student, trying to discover myself, who I wanted to be, and what I'm good at. Interesting.
Now, there are the ambiguous dreams, like the ones I just shared, the ones where your subconscious seems to be playing a guessing game with you, not being too obvious... and then there are the not-so-ambiguous, the obvious, in-your-face dreams that just means what it means. I have those dreams too. Actually, my dreams now are really very obvious, I don't really need a dream dictionary to decipher what it means. Here are a few:
1. Just recently, I had a dream that I was online and browsing facebook. (Yes, I am a facebook junkie. Shoot me.) Then I discovered something about a friend of mine, something shocking that actually hurt my feelings. I don't really remember the details anymore, but I think it just means what it means... I'm terrified of learning something that could possibly hurt me on facebook. The "facebook friend" I dreamt about is someone who has a significant impact in my life, and I constantly communicate with this friend through facebook. So, yeah, this dream was really just about my fear of discovering something shocking about this person, through facebook. Corny huh?
2. I also had this dream about me putting on some ugly makeup on my face. It was more like blue face paint really but I treated it like some sort of foundation and smeared my face with the blue powder. Each time I did it, I looked in the mirror and saw how ugly it looked, but I kept on doing it. This one is a bit ambiguous too, but the meaning is quite a no-brainer. Just means I have to be myself and stop covering up the "real me". See? Very simple.
3. Also just recently, I found a crack on my work laptop (in waking life). That very night i dreamt of this crack getting bigger, and like paper, my laptop tore apart. What does this mean? It means I'm terrified of breaking this computer. It's old and it's not really mine, it belongs to the office. Ding ding ding! Mystery solved.
These are just some of the dreams I remember but I've had a variety of weird and not-so-weird dreams. How about you? What is your most common dream? Naked dream anyone?