Thursday, November 12, 2009

Iza is 87% addicted to facebook



Oh Gaaaad... This is not a good sign. Actually, i'm a little suspicious. See, I don't play those super addictive games that require you to log-in and check your account once every hour. You know what I mean: that farmville thingy, that mafia nonsense, that restaurant city madness, not even that bejewelled hoo-ha (which BTW is becoming a cause of serious competition at work. I'm not kidding! everyone in our office plays this game but me and everyone is dead serious about being the "highest scorer"). The only game I ever was addicted to in facebook is that typing maniac thing, and the last time I played that was about a month ago (when I levelled up to "cyborg" status). Hey, no offense to those farmville maniacs, but think about it... If i'm 87% addicted now, then how addicted will I be when I start farming and taking care of those barn animals?


You know those facebook quizzes everyone takes and posts on their walls? I seldom do that too (except for this how addicted to FB are you thing, anyway, it's not even a quiz... it's an app. I clicked the button and it mis calculated how "addicted" I am). I may have done one or two of those quizzes once or maybe twice in a month. Does that make me an addict? I don't think so... (Denial, stage 1)



If you are my facebook friend (which you probably are, since most of you who read my blog are people I know personally anyway) and you happen to chance upon my wall, then you'd see what I really love doing when I'm logged in. I update my status once in a while, comment on my or my friends' wall posts, and post links or interesting photos. Such as these...
  

I once read this article about how facebook promotes narcissism in Gen-Xers and Gen-Yers. Says it's a channel where narcissists can shamelessly self-promote themselves with their glamorous pictures, engaging personal profiles, and interesting wall posts. Now, like I said, what I love about facebook is how it allows me to interact with current, new, and old friends anytime (via the comments). Apparently, that makes me a facebook addict. Fine. (Acceptance - stage 2) BUT... Does being a facebook addict make me a narcissist? Nah, don't think so (back to stage 1).










Don't we just love sharing interesting stuff we "stumble upon" in the www? Don't we just love interacting with people, making friends laugh, making "chismis" (in a good way if there is such a thing). If that makes us addicted to facebook, then I'm with Amy Winehouse on this one - "They tried to make me go to rehab, but I said NO, NO, NO..."


At least these guys get it...


1 comment:

  1. Haha that's so funny... I don't do the games either... I can only imagine how much FB time it would be if I did.

    ReplyDelete