Sunday, December 20, 2009

The New Year's Irresolution

Is it bad that I have had the same new year's resolution for three consecutive years now? My resolution: I resolve to quit smoking cigarettes... and for the past three years I have broken my promise and have fallen back into this nasty nicotine habit. What a shame.

So, the year is ending, and here I go again. The only difference now is that I am starting a little earlier this year. I've started cutting back on smoking around mid-december, so that hopefully I can quit by the 1st day of the year 2010. I've been resisting the urge to chain smoke, and at times that I really, really have to... I allow myself only one cig a day. Actually, the usual number of cigarettes I have in a day is around 7-10 sticks... and that is hardly what anyone would call chain smoking. Regardless, though... quitting smoking altogether is H-A-R-D. I know non-smokers don't get it and are probably thinking, "Dude, if you can cut back, then just quit already. How hard can it be?" Well, it's H-A-R-D. You should be in my head. All I keep thinking is "Iza, you need a cigarette. You haven't smoked today. You haven't smoked. YOU HAVEN'T SMOKED!" It can get a little crazy. Just take my word for it, and I am speaking on behalf of all fellow smokers out there.


Yesterday, unfortunately, my willpower failed me. I smoked about five cigarettes. Today, I've had two.


Still, I'm hopeful. Cutting back to five sticks in one day is not bad. So, maybe, quitting smoking altogether is actually... doable (GASP!). 2010, be good to me. You just might be THE year.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know that you smoked.Ö
    Wala sa ichura mo. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! May nagsabi na rin sa akin niyan before. Can you believe I've been smoking for 10 years? Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. why don't you try that electronic cigarette thing? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joei: Whoa... Where do you get that? and How does that work?

    Hayyy but no, I don't think it will work for me... Just want to quit cold-turkey as in no trace of cigs anymore. wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete