Monday, May 3, 2010

Cheap Long Weekend Thrills

Well, hello everybody! Hi Mom! Yes, Mom, I know you're reading this. Are you here now, are you here now? Blink twice if you are.

Okay, I don't know what that^ was about. I obviously do not have that much to blog about, but I just thought that it's been a long time and I miss my blog so here I am rambling about random stuff again. Huh? I know, right? Huh?

(But mom, if you really are reading this... WHAAAAT'S UP???)

Tonight is the simple end to a well-spent long weekend. But somehow, like all long weekends, it just feels as if I didn't get enough rest. It's weird 'cos I actually had more days off than everyone else, as I got a little sick last Thursday and Friday (I was down with a weird fluctuating fever, a burning throat, and an epic headache). I was bedridden for two whole days and only recovered on Saturday. 


I'm fine though. The only plan I had for this weekend was to stay home and watch a bunch of videos I downloaded while I was sick and asleep (yes, it's possible!)... and everything went according to plan. Mwahahaha! I'm actually not done watching them all, I got a little trigger happy downloading everything that seemed interesting and ended up with too many. What you say? Next weekend is another long weekend? Mwahahaha!

So, I decided I'll give you a few thoughts about one movie I managed to finish watching. Here it is...



I am definitely a fan of Walt Disney films. Magical, simple storylines, but still with a bit of comic wit (side note: I once heard that in his day, Walt Disney was known as a famous prankster, using his films as outlets for his "pranks". Remember the "Hidden Mickey" in every Disney cartoon, as revealed by the disney channel?). I applaud the Disney Corporation for being able to keep the same formula for many years, even with the beloved Mr. Walt Disney passing away. Of course it works now because, not only do they keep the tradition, but they add a little "spice" with  new ideas and "upgrades" that follow modern times.


I especially liked "The Princess and The Frog" as it is a slightly altered realist version of that old fairy tale, "The Frog Prince". I think Disney films has moved towards that direction, since "Enchanted" and "Bedtime Stories" (or even earlier, If I'm mistaken), having that kid fantasy formula but with a realistic flavor. It's the right balance of realism and idealism mixed with kid-friendly characters and pretty colors. I think this avoids the next generation feeling duped by their parents when they grow up and realize that "life is not really a fairytale", but still being able to get the message across in a positive way. I mean, look at the teenagers now, there are so many EMOS! I think it's because they've been pampered with so many sugar-coated fairy tales, and now that they are faced with real world problems, everyone's gotten so depressed and negative! As adults (naks!), I think it is now our responsibility to encourage hope and positive attitude, but still reminding the kids to keep their feet on the ground.


Anyway, what I love about the film is that the lead character, "Tiana", is a charming African American girl living in New Orleans. Now that's 21st century!

Actually, come to think of it... Disney has had a variety of lead characters of different races. There were the Caucasians (Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, etc.), Asian (Mulan), Middle Eastern (Jasmine), American Indian (Pocahontas), Gypsy? (Esmeralda), Hawaiian? (Lilo). Hmmm... I don't think there ever has been a Latina lead character. someone like "Juana" or "Corazon". Definitely no Filipina yet. What say you for a Filipina disney character? That sounds nice, right? "Chona the kusinera", or because everyone's been talking about them lately, "Rh0sE the jejemon princess". Pinay na pinay!



So that's this long weekend. Get ready for next week when I probably will blog about struggling rock bands and gay men. 

Talk to you soon, Mom.

3 comments:

  1. hey! this is an interesting blog! checking back soon to read about struggling rock bands. gay men...umm...ok, struggling rock bands then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tim! Thanks for dropping by! =)

    ReplyDelete