Thursday, March 18, 2010

Pain is Beauty, and Beauty's a Pain

Disclaimer: Specifics may have been changed, not affecting the outcome of this story. This is to protect the author from losing her job.
 
Know what I hate? 

(a little side note: I've always "disliked" using the word HATE, but this is an exception)


I absolutely HATE generic, template commercials. I just HATE them with every ounce of passion I could muster. One example? Beauty products! All the same old same old shampoo and skincare ads with the same... MESTIZA LOOKING GIRL WHO IN THE NEAR FUTURE WILL GET A CONTRACT WITH ABS-CBN OR GMA... LONG SHINY HAIR WITH NOT A STRAND OF HAIR OUT OF PLACE... SILKY, CREAMY, FLAWLESS, AND YOUNGER-LOOKING SKIN IN 24 HOURS... CELEBRITY ENDORSEMENTS... Ayayay! Everyone's just doing and saying the same thing! I know I sound like a self-righteous, angsty, goth teenager with no friends, but this is really how I feel! Must we conform to the same old ad template every single time??? Look, I'm not saying I'm not guilty of creating such template ads... as they say, there's a reason why the "formulas" are so popular. What I'm only saying is, I don't like creating such ads! It's sickening!


But, wait... there's more!

Guess who's pitching for a beauty product account and is now writing a beauty product commercial? (Clue: we have the same hair color and length! She also has a pesky mole right smack on the bridge of her nose, which many tell her is her lucky charm.)


Well, I know this writer very well. She will make it different! She will not conform! Down with the templates! (unless the client wants a template ad, and in that case... it's not the writer's fault, my dear friends.)


Here's a lesson I've learned these past few days: don't blame the writer!

Principles? Shminciples!

3 comments:

  1. Hahahah, ano ba yan.

    To sell out or not to sell out?! The price of being in advertising, pinsan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pinsan, couldn't have said it better myself! Sometimes I get really frustrated with the traditional Filipino culture. REALLY... Sometimes we're all just a bunch of copy cats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yups, so true. But its your job to break the mold now, good luck!

    ReplyDelete